Melissa's Cuisine: Stuffed Shells

Monday, January 07, 2013

Stuffed Shells

Remember when I told you about my friend and I making a bunch of freezer meals?  Along with lasagna, meatballs, and a variety of soups, we also made these stuffed shells. 

Prior to our cooking day, I had never eaten stuffed shells, much less made any.  I was impressed with how easily these came together.  I think shredding the chicken took the longest amount of time, but since I did that while the noodles were cooking the whole process went quickly. 

One great thing about freezer meals is that Mike can get them ready while I'm at work, so once I get home, I just need to heat up a side dish or vegetable and dinner is on the table!  We both really enjoyed these stuffed shells and I'll certainly be making them again.
Stuffed Shells

Serves 8-10

8 ounces jumbo shell pasta
15 ounces Ricotta Cheese
2 cups shredded Mozzarella Cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
1 Tablespoon dried parsley
1 egg
2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
2 cups pasta sauce

 1. In a large pot of boiling water, cook shells according to package instructions for al dente. When the pasta is done, drain and rinse the shells under cold water to stop the cooking process.

2.  In a medium bowl, mix together the Ricotta, Mozzarella, Parmesan, parsley, egg, and shredded chicken.

3. Stuff each shell with about 3 tablespoons of filling, until all the shells are full or you run out of filling.
 
4. Spread 1½ cups of pasta sauce on the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish. Place each stuffed shell on top of the sauce.

5.  Cover the shells with the remaining ½ cup pasta sauce.

If you're freezing the shells, cover the baking dish with a layer of plastic wrap followed by foil to prevent freezer burn. 

6.  Bake the shells at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.  If baking frozen shells, increase baking time to 45-50 minutes. 

 

7 comments:

  1. Looks really good - I'm pinning this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love anything stuffed in pasta - this looks yummy. I saw your link on Serendipity and Spice. I would love for you to come by and share your creativity with my friends @
    http://www.flusterbuster.com/search/label/Fluster%20Muster%20Party

    Robin@ Fluster Buster
    Fluster Muster Linky Party - Wednesdays

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had stuffed shells before but I bet these are yummy. I wish I was organised enough to do a lot of freezer meals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum those look delicious! Found you over at Cast Party Wednesdays. Pinning this, thank you for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melissa,
    I love the flavor combination of your Stuffed Shells. Thank you so much for celebrating TWO YEARS with FULL PLATE THURSDAY, I appreciate your visit!
    Come Back Soon
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love stuffed shells, but I've never thought to use chicken instead of beef & I think I would like them much better with chicken. Freezing them is a great idea. Thanks for sharing on Whatcha' WHipped Up!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips